Step-by-Step: Embed Google Street View on Your Site
Posted by Jed
Unless you’ve been living in a cave, you probably already know about Google Street View technology. You know – where you can actually click on the on screen map and navigate using real street level images just as if you were there yourself? Unfortunately, the technology isn’t available for all of the U.S. yet, but many major cities are covered and it’s only a matter of time for the rest of us.
But here’s the cool thing for those with real estate sites or blogs – Google is now allowing Street View Panoramas to be embedded right in your site. To get started, just follow these step-by-step instructions:
1. Open Google Maps in your web browser.
2. Click On the “Street View” button towards the top, right hand corner of the map displayed.
3. Choose one of the cities represented with a camera icon and click the icon.
4. Click the link in the pop up bubble to zoom in.
5. Drag the little person icon to the location you’d like to view.
6. Pan and zoom to get the street level image displayed just how you’d like it.
7. Click “Link to this page” in the upper right hand corner of the screen, just above the map.
8. Now, click “Customize and preview embedded map.
9. Select your display size of choice.
10. Simply copy and paste the code provided into your site or blog where you’d like the embedded image to appear.
It’s that easy!
I can already think of a practically endless list of uses for this technology in the world of real estate alone, but I’ll leave it up to your imagination on how you might use it yourself. Be patient, if your city is not yet Street View enabled, just keep checking back often. Google seems to be rolling out this technology pretty rapidly now that they’ve got the ball rolling.
Posted on September 26, 2008, in Web Dev and tagged Step-by-Step: Embed Google Street View on Your Site. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.