EAST RUTHERFORD – October 4 – PRESS Reports/Reviews/Pics, NJ
It’s a Madonna nation
Test your knowledge with our pop quiz
By CHRIS JORDAN • Gannett New Jersey • October 3, 2008
Love her or hate her, you can’t ignore Madonna. She has transcended music over the last 25 years to become a true pop-culture icon, seemingly drawing attention for everying she does, be it adopting a child from Malawi under questionable circumstances to studying Kabbalah, an off-shoot of Judaism.
Now Madonna comes to the Izod Center in East Rutherford Saturday night to kick off the U.S. leg of her “Sticky and Sweet Tour.” She then heads across the river for four shows at Madison Square Garden in New York City, starting Monday, Oct. 6. Want more? She hits Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City on Nov. 22.
The tour has already garnered controversy in Europe, where Madonna juxtaposed images of John McCain and Hitler. But that’s the norm for Ms. Ciccone, who has been pushing cultural buttons for her entire career.
Anyway, we offer our Madonna pop (culture) quiz to test you, dear reader, on how up you are on the Material Girl.
Score results: 0-3 Madonna wannabe; 4-6 Madonna backup dancer; 7-9 Madonna record producer with bedroom privileges; 10 Madonna wants to adopt you.
1. What did Madonna inject singer Justin Timberlake with prior to their recording session for “Hard Candy”?
D. A ray of light
2. Madonna portrayed this Latin American leader in a 1996 film.
A. Michelle Bachelet
B. Eva Peron
C. Celia Cruz
D. Manuel Noriega
3. This actor appeared as Jesus in Madonna’s “Like A Prayer” video.
A. Denzel Washington
B. Donnell Rawlings
D. Redd Foxx
4. What group took offense to Madonna’s 1986 single, “Papa Don’t Preach”?
A. Mothers Against Drunk Driving
B. Conservative religious groups
C. Planned parenthood
D. Music critics
5. Which New York Yankee is a “spiritual soulmate” to Madonna?
A. Hideki Matsui
B. Derek Jeter
C. Alex Rodriguez
D. Yogi Berra
6. Former Madonna remixer and collaborator Shep Pettibone owns what Asbury Park nightclub?
A. The Stone Pony
B. Asbury Lanes
D. Mrs. Jays Beer Garden
7. What did Madonna say to the taxi driver when she first arrived in New York City?
A. “Take me to the nearest yoga studio.”
B. “Do you produce records when you’re not driving a cab?”
C. “Take me to the middle of everything.”
D. “What are you doing when you get off your shift?”
8. Who did Madonna dedicate “Like a Virgin” to at a recent concert in Rome?
A. Guy Ritchie
B. The Pope
C. Rabbi Philip Berg
D. John McCain
9. Which celebrity has Madonna NOT been romantically linked or married to?
A. George Michael
B. Sean Penn
C. Jellybean Benitez
D. Dennis Rodman
10. What was the name of Madonna’s late-’70s New York City rock band?
A. The New York Dolls
B. Ciccone Youth
C. Breakfast Club
D. The Virgin Suicides
Answers: 1. B; 2. B; 3. C; 4. B; 5. C 6. C; 7. C; 8. B; 9. A; 10. C.
List Price: $13.99
Price: $11.19 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.
You Save: $2.80 (20%)